This recipe was created for Blas y Tir using their Welsh produce of Pembrokeshire Potatoes.
‘Thanks to the Gulf Stream, Pembrokeshire’s mild, frost-free coastal climate is perfect for growing Pembrokeshire Early Potatoes. This unique climate and coastal soil work perfectly together, giving our renowned Blas Y Tir Pembrokeshire Earlies their distinctive character and flavour.
Having been grown in the county’s fertile coastal soils since the mid-1700s, our seasonal Pembrokeshire Earlies have a distinctive, strong, earthy, nutty flavour and aroma. The first crop of potatoes is handpicked in May and sold dirty to keep their delicate skin intact.’
A wonderful, light and refreshing salad perfect for the transition through from Spring to Summer seasons. A combination of;
- rocket leaves
- frozen peas
- red onion
- pumpkin seeds
- sunflower seeds
- alfalfa sprouts
- ground black pepper
all dressed in lime and balsamic vinaigrette for a really punchy flavour.
This salad is easy to prepare and can be done in advance so it’s great for lazy days when you don’t want to be spending too much time in the kitchen. It will transport easily too, so it’s a great recipe to take on picnics or to a neighbours BBQ.
You just need two pans of boiling water, one to boil the potatoes and the other to blanch the asparagus and frozen peas. Simply slice the asparagus and red onions into thin strips and julienne peel the courgettes so that no one vegetable overpowers each mouthful.
To finish the dish, add a sprinkling of pumpkin and sunflower seeds, ground black pepper and some micro greens such as alfalfa sprouts (optional).
Asparagus, Pea & Courgette with Potatoes & Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 12 small potatoes washed, halved
- 2 handfuls rocket leaves
- 6 asparagus spears washed, sliced vertically
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 large courgette
- 1 small red onion
- 1 small handful pumpkin seeds
- 1 small handful sunflower seeds
- 1 small handful alfalfa sprouts
- ground black pepper
- 1/4 lime - juice only
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- Half fill 2 medium sized pans with water and bring to the boil.
- Place the halved potatoes into one pan and simmer for about 10-12 mins until cooked through.
- In the other pan, blanch the asparagus for 1-2 mins, then remove with a slotted spoon, drain and place on a plate. The add the peas to the pan and simmer for 2 mins, remove with a slotted spoon, drain and place on the plate with the asparagus.
- Prepare the remaining ingredients by julienne peeling the courgette and slice the onions.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the lime juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil together in a small bowl.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain in a sieve then run under cold water for a few minutes to take off the heat and cool down. Drain well then add to a large serving bowl with the rocket, asparagus, peas, courgette, red onion and seeds. Pour over the dressing and ground black pepper before serving.