The smell of sweet, home-baked, warm banana bread filling the kitchen is definitely one I will never get tired of…..This banana bread chocolate brownie needs no introduction, apart from to say that it’s obviously very closely related to it’s banana bread ‘loaf’ cousin. It has all the same ingredients but they just look a little different with the added benefit of a shorter cooking time due to it being a thinner base which means less time to wait to eat it 😉 If I had to choose a favourite, this would be it because the increased surface space of the brownie means more of that cripsy, crunchy outer edge….m m mmmm yes purrrlease!
Enjoy! Joanne 🙂
Banana Bread Brownie with Chocolate Chunks (vegan)
- 300 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 100 g dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp pure Maple syrup optional - if your bananas are very ripe, you can probably omit the maple syrup
- 100 g coconut oil or dairy free butter
- 100 mls plantbased milk
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 0.5 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100 g dark chocolate squares
- Place all of the ingredients (excluding the chocolate squares) into a food processor and blitz until you form a smooth cake batter.
- Now add the chocolate squares and pulse a few times until they are broken up unto smaller peices and incorporated into the batter.
- Pour the better into a 20cm square brownie tin and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins at 180 degrees C until cooked through. Insert a skewer into the brownie and check it comes out clean - if not, bake for a further few mins.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins before removing it from the brownie tin and cutting into 9 squares.
- Once completely cooled, store in an air tight container for up to 2-3 days.