Black Bean & Red Beet Burgers with all the toppings
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves skin removed, minced
- 60 g jumbo oats
- 450 g black beans equivalent of 2 tins, drained weight, rinsed
- 1 large beetroot top removed, washed and grated
- 2 tsp sweet, smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp soft, brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds soaked in 6 tbsps water
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- pinch salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil for frying and sealing the burgers before baking
- 4 thick slices beef tomato
- 4 handfuls rocket leaves
- 2 avocados mashed
- 1 red onion sliced
- 4 Bread rolls
Add the onion and garlic to a frying pan and heat gently for 5 minutes until they soften.
Add all the burger ingredients to a food processor and pulse until all combined. You need to keep some structure so do not process too much.
Remove the food processor bowl from the until and remove the blade.
Use your clean hands to take out 1 quarter of the mixture and form a ball, then flatten to form a burger shape pattie.
Place the burger on a plate and continue with the remaining 3 burger portions.
Add the oil to a frying pan and heat gently.
Add the for burgers and cook gently on each side for a few minutes to seal each burger.
Place the burgers on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until heated through.
Add the cooked burgers to the buns and top with all the toppings and serve immediately.
After processing the burger mixture, you can place this in the fridge to set if you have time or decide to make ahead of time as this will help the burger mixture set and be easier for making the patties.