Brown Rice & Winter Veg Slow Cooked Stew
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 2 carrots peeled if not organic, diced
- 3 savoy cabbage leaves washed, stalks removed and shredded.
- 2 courgettes washed, ends removed and diced
- 1 onion skin removed and diced
- 2 stalks celery ends removed and washed
- 2 cups brown rice rinsed under running water in a sieve
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Fill a kettle and boil the water.
- Place the oil, onion, celery, carrots and sweet potato in a large pan with a lid. Cook on the lowest heat for 10 mins. Give the pan a shake while holding the lid on the pan to ensure the bottom layer does not burn.
- Place the contents, plus all the remaining ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Pour in the boiled water until all ingredients are covered.
- Place the lid firmly on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours then turn down the setting to low for a further 3-4 hours until all the ingredients are cooked. Add more water throughout the cooking as required and stir the ingredients to ensure even cooking.
- Serve immediately. Store any leftovers in the fridge to reheat the next day.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!