Brown Rice & Winter Veg Slow Cooked Stew
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 2 carrots peeled if not organic, diced
- 3 savoy cabbage leaves washed, stalks removed and shredded.
- 2 courgettes washed, ends removed and diced
- 1 onion skin removed and diced
- 2 stalks celery ends removed and washed
- 2 cups brown rice rinsed under running water in a sieve
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
Fill a kettle and boil the water.
Place the oil, onion, celery, carrots and sweet potato in a large pan with a lid. Cook on the lowest heat for 10 mins. Give the pan a shake while holding the lid on the pan to ensure the bottom layer does not burn.
Place the contents, plus all the remaining ingredients into a slow cooker.
Pour in the boiled water until all ingredients are covered.
Place the lid firmly on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours then turn down the setting to low for a further 3-4 hours until all the ingredients are cooked. Add more water throughout the cooking as required and stir the ingredients to ensure even cooking.
Serve immediately. Store any leftovers in the fridge to reheat the next day.