Chaga, Red Lentil & Ginger Soup with Red Cabbage & Crispy Kale
- 3 units Shallots skin removed and chopped
- 1 unit Carrot peeled and diced
- 2 cups Red lentils rinsed thoroughly
- 1 cube Vegetable stock cube
- 1.5 pints Water
- 1.5 tsp Ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Ground turmeric
- 1 inch Fresh root ginger skin removed and grated
- 1 pinch Ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Chaga Mushroom Powder
- 1 tsp Rapeseed Oil
- 1 stem Kale leaves removed and washed
- 1 drop Olive oil
- 1 leaf Red cabbage washed and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees ready for making the kale crisps.
- Place shallots, carrot and rapeseed oil in a pan, cover with a lid and fry on a low heat for 5 mins until they start to soften.
- Add the spices (cumin, coriander, turmeric and ginger) and combine.
- Add the lentils, stock and water to the pan and stir.
- Replace the lid and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 35 mins. Add more water during cooking if required and give the mixture a stir to ensure even cooking.
- While the soup is simmering, tear the kale leaf into smaller pieces, place them in a bowl and rub in the olive oil.
- Arrange the pieces of kale on a baking tray ensuring they are spaced out and not overlapping. This will help them to crisp more quickly and evenly.
- Turn down the oven to 100 degrees and place the tray in the oven. Bake for 10-15mins or until crispy.
- Remove the tray from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once the soup has cooked, add the Chaga mushroom powder and ground black pepper and stir through.
- Add the soup to the bowls and place the kale, purple cabbage and apple cider vinegar on top.
- Make a whole tray of kale crisps to eat as a snack or save as a topping for another meal.
- Serve with crusty, garlic toasted croutons.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!