My digestion does not cope well with too many oats so I really like to swap my breakfast grains around and quinoa is one of my favourites. It’s got an incredible amino acid profile, a lovely chewy texture and nutty taste. It takes a little longer to prepare than a quick bowl of oats but it’s worth the extra boiling time. I like to eat it cold, so you could even make it the night before and keep it in the fridge. Cooking it in coconut milk gives it that lovely coconut taste but you could easily swap it for any other nut milk or even just water. Add your favourite fruits, whatever you have during the season. You can add a little Maple syrup if you cooked it in water as it won’t be as sweet as cooking in coconut milk. Use coconut milk from the carton which you keep in the fridge, not the one from the can – that is too thick!
Coconut Quinoa Porridge with fresh Strawberries & Kiwi
- 1/2 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1.5 cups coconut milk from a carton not a can
- handful strawberries washed
- 1/2 kiwi sliced
- Cooked the quinoa in a pan with the coconut milk for around 15 mins on simmer, until you see the little 'tail' in the grain and the grain becomes translucent.
- Transfer to a bow, allow to cool for a few mins.
- Add the fruit topping - use the strawberries and kiwi or whatever you have to hand.
- Add a little Maple syrup if you used water to cook the quinoa.