Courgette, Rocket & Spinach Pesto Pasta with Green Lentils
- 100 g dried pasta
- 100 g green lentils dried weight
- 1 onion skin removed, diced
- 1 courgette washed and sliced
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 handfuls rocket leaves
- 1 handful spinach chopped small
- 2 heaped tbsp green basil free from pesto I used Sacla
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1/2 juice lemon
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3 Spring onions washed, chopped
- Rinse the dried lentils then add to a pan with double the volume of water and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a simmer for 30 minutes or per packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, add the dried pasta to a pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes or as per packet instructions.
- Add the oil to a frying pan, turn up the heat and when the oil starts to sizzle, turn down the heat then add the onion and sliced courgette. Fry on low for about 10 mins until they start to brown. Add the fennel seeds for the last 1 minute of frying time.
- Drain the pasta in a colander, rinse the pasta under cold water for a few minutes then allow to drain. Leave to one side.
- Once the lentils are cooked, drain off any excess liquid. Rinse under cold water.
- When the lentils and pasta are cooled, add them to a large mixing bowl with the pesto and stir through. Add the rocket, spinach, courgette, onion and fennel seeds, seasoning, and lemon juice. Combine well before serving in bowls and sprinkle with the chopped spring onions.
Make double and save some for tomorrow's lunch because it tastes good straight from the fridge!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!