This delicious, creamy bowl of oats, topped with so much goodness, I could eat all day every day! I might even go as far to say that it’s my favourite breakfast combination, ever. I’m a big fan of tahini and 1 scoop of this provides enough to have a bit with every mouthful. That, combined with some melted, dark chocolate is such a luxury taste combination. The other ingredients are there for the ride but bring with them gifts of super dense nutrition and are all worthy of their place. Here are a few quick facts about each ingredient and the reason why I’ve thought they play a starring role in my diet for today, have a quick scan down to see just how much goodness you can pack into the first meal of the day……
It will be hard to keep this one short as oats are so loaded with nutrients! In short; they provide;
- Fiber – beta-glucan is formed when oats dissolve in water. This helps to lower cholesterol by transporting it out of the body
- Good amounts of minerals (manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron & zinc)
- Vitamin B1 which helps to convert the oats into usable energy.
- They are rich in a particular antioxidant called Avenanthramides which may help lower blood pressure through the release of nitric oxide – a gas which helps to dilate blood vessels and keep the blood flowing around the body. This antioxidant is also anti-inflammatory and can reduce itching.
- They are cheap and plentiful, so a really great option for breakfast each day and will keep you fuller for longer with slow releasing complex carbohydrates which is better for blood-sugar management.
- Jumbo oats are the least processed so I always opt for these over ‘quick’ oats even though they require increased soaking/cooking time – I think they are worth it for the extra nutrients this provides.
- A great, all round, amino acid profile so great protein source.
- Rich in copper
- Good amounts of magnesium, manganese, zinc and phosphorous
- Some selenium, iron and vitamin K
- Made from ground sesame seeds, dark tahini provides good amounts of Calcium, Iron, Magnesium and Copper.
- Anti-inflammatory and can help balance blood sugar
Dark Chocolate (85% cocoa):
- Very powerful source of anti-oxidants – and tastes pretty good too 😉
- Great source of;
- Omega 3
Shelled Hemp Seeds:
- Great source of:
- Omega 3
- Vitamin B1
Because each ingredient is so packed with nutrients, just 1/3 cup of oats and a tablespoon of each of the toppings will give you a great foundation to start your day.
Creamy Oats with Tahini, Choc, Cashews, Chia & Hemp
- 1/3 cup jumbo oats
- 1 cup plantbased mylk
- 1 tbsp dark tahini
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp shelled hemp seeds
- 1 small handful cashews
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 square dark chocolate grated
- You can either soak the oats in the milk overnight in a lidded container or you can leave for at least 20 minutes (or as long as you can). The overnight method will result in a plumper, more creamy oat flake and may be easier on the digestion.
- When you are ready to serve, you can either gently heat the oats to serve warm or eat cold. Once you have decided, just place the remaining ingredients on top of the oats and serve immediately.