This Harissa Spiced Celeriac, Black-Eyed Beans, Quinoa, Spinach & Walnuts dish is my #2 version of my easy mid-week meals, using my go-to method for creating a meal which is;
- Uses mainly store cupboard ingredients
- Full of flavour
- Contains a good mix of Protein, Fibre, Carbs, Fat plus lots of other micronutrients from spices and greens
- Contains at least 5 vegetables
- Can be adjusted to the season
It’s a really tasty meal which is choc full of good nutrition from all it’s ingredients and will keep you from snacking later in the evening due to its slow releasing energy and the fiber which helps you to feel full.
First, assemble all of the ingredients together. You will need;
- harissa spice mix
- ground cumin
- ground coriander
- tomato passata or a tin of chopped tomatoes
- black eyed beans
- nutritional yeast flakes
- grated vegan cheese
- apple cider vinegar
- sea salt and ground black pepper
Rinse the quinoa in a sieve under running water for a minute or 2 to wash away any of it’s natural coating called saponin. Saponin gives the quinoa a bitter flavour so it is good to rinse this away before cooking. Add the quinoa to a pan, cover with about 2-3 times the volume of water, bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for about 15 minutes or as per packet instructions;
Next, peel the onion, wash the celery and chop both finely. Add to a large pan with a dash of oil and fry for 6-7 minutes until they soften. Add a splach or water and a lid to the pan to help cook through without burning;
Now add all of the spices to the pan;
Now the tomato passata;
And stir through while on a medium heat;
Add a cup of water to the pan before grating the celeriac into the mixture;
Stir it all together and then add the beans;
Next, add the spinach leaves;
And the remaining flavours; grated cheese, nutritional yeast flakes, apple cider vinegar and minced garlic. Season to taste with sea salt and ground back pepper;
And stir everything together. Add more water if the sauce is too thick, then leave to simmer, with a lid on for about 5 minutes, until heated through;
Drain any excess liquid from the quinoa then serve with the sauce and top with walnuts and fresh parsley (optional);
Harissa Spiced Celeriac, Black-Eyed Beans, Quinoa & Walnuts
- 3 servings quinoa
- 1 medium or 2 small onion peeled diced
- 1 stick celery washed chopped
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp harissa spice mix
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1 cup water
- 1 celeriac grated
- 1 tin black beans rinsed drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup grated vegan cheese
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cups spinach washed
- 2-3 handfuls walnuts
- Rinse the quinoa under running water in a sieve and then place in a pan with 2-3x the volume of water. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 15 minutes or as per packet instructions.
- Add the chopped onion and celery to a large pan with a dash of rapeseed oil and cook on a low heat for at least 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add all of the spices and stir through.
- Next, add the tomato passata and water. Stir to combine.
- Now add the grated celeriac, black eyed beans and spinach and combine together.
- Leave to simmer for about 5-6 minutes on a medium heat until heated through.
- Next, add the garlic, grated vegan cheese, nutritional yeast flakes and apple cider vinegar and stir everything together.
- Drain the quinoa and serve together with the black eyed bean mixture. Top with the walnuts and a seasoning of salt and pepper to taste.