A vibrant orange sauce which is suitable for either beef or chicken dishes. It doesn’t take long to prepare and the flavours infuse during a low but short simmering on the stove top. You can make the sauce in advance and add to cooked meatballs or chicken. I serve the dish with extra vegetables or a small serving of quinoa or brown rice.
Here’s what you will need;
- curry powder
- brown onion
- tin chopped tomatoes
- salt & ground black pepper
- Fresh coriander
- optional – scoop of coconut cream
Meatballs in a Carrot & Turmeric Sauce with Coriander
- 1 large brown onion peeled, diced
- 3 small carrots washed, grated
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 TBSP curry powder
- 3 cloves garlic peeled, minced
- 1 TBSP fresh turmeric or ground
- sea salt & ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large spoonful coconut cream optional for a creamier texture
- 1 bunch fresh coriander for serving
Add the chopped onion and grated carrot to a medium sized pan with a small amount of your preferred cooking oil (I used ghee).
Gently cook the onion and carrot for about 10 mins until translucent and soft.
Now add the tomatoes, curry powder, minced garlic, turmeric, seasoning and coconut cream (if using), plus 1 cup (250mls) water, to the pan and simmer over a low heat for 20 mins.
Blend until smooth using a food processing jug or hand blender.
Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce and then serve with you choice of side and a sprinkling of coriander.