Mixed Lentil Dal Tikka Masala with fresh coriander
- 2 brown onions skin removed, diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1.5 cups puy lentils rinsed
- 1.5 cups green lentils rinsed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground, sweet, smoked paprika
- 3 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 800 g tomato passata
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 300 mls boiled water
- 1 tin full fat coconut milk
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- salt & pepper
- Place the onions in a pan with the oil and fry very gently for 15 mins with a lid placed firmly on the pan.
- Add the garlic, return the lid and fry for a further 5 mins.
- Place the lentils in a pan and top with water, ensuring all the lentils are covered.
- Bring the pan to the boil and then turn down to a simmer for 20 mins.
- While the lentils are simmering, add the spices to the onion and garlic (cumin, paprika, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, ginger).
- Now add the ground almonds and stir together.
- Add the tomato passata to the mixture and stir through.
- Crumble in the vegetable stock cube.
- Add 300 mls boiled water.
- Simmer the mixture gently for 15 mins.
- Drain the cooked lentils and combine both the sauce and the lentils in the same pan.
- Add the coconut milk from the can and stir through.
- Cook on low for a further 15 mins.
- Serve immediately with naan bread and top with lots of fresh coriander and seasoning.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!