This easy one-pot Morrocan Vegetable Tagine is a wonderful mix of several different vegetables and chickpeas, all cooked slowly in ras-el-hanut spiced, tomato sauce.
Recipes which incorporate more vegetables into your diet are a great way to ensure you are getting a wide range of plant-based goodness into your meals which is low in fat, high in fibre and full of nutrients which are easy to digest.
I have used sweet red onions and chopped dates int his recipe which both add the most amazing sweet flavour to the dish against the savoury vegetables.
Morrocan Vegetable Tagine - easy one-pot recipe
- 1 TBSP rapeseed oil
- 1 large red onion peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 large sweet potato peeled, cubed
- 2 medium carrots peeled, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper washed, cored, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper washed, cored, chopped
- 1 large courgette ends removed, sliced
- 1.5" piece root ginger peeled, grated
- 500 mls tomato passata
- 1 TBSP ras-el-hanut seasoning
- 0.5 TBSP ground cumin
- 1 tin chickpeas rinsed, drained
- 400 mls vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 60 g dates chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic peeled, crushed
- Begin by adding the oil to a large pan which has a lid. Heat the oil then add the onion and cook on low heat with the lid secured for 5-7 mins until it begins to soften.
- Next, add the chopped sweet potato, carrot, bell peppers and courgette. Return the lid to the pan and leave to cook on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the root ginger and stir through, then add the tomato passata, ras-el-hanut and chickpeas.
- Next, stir through the vegetable stock, dates and apple cider vinegar, secure the lid and either leave to cook on the hob on a low heat for 40 minutes or place in the oven at 180 degrees C for 1 hour. Check all the vegetables are soft and the liquid has reduced.
- After required cooking time, remove the dish from the oven or hob and add the crushed garlic. Season to taste before serving.