I am a huge fan of soup! I love how quick and easy it is to make and the endless combination of flavours and textures. It’s a real welcome home kind of meal when you return on a chilly day and fills you up whilst being nourishing too. This recipe is definitely one of my favourites as it combines the Thai spice hints of lemongrass, ginger, coriander and turmeric with the sweetness of the peas which are just bursting with freshness.
You could make this soup all year round as I use frozen peas in this recipe which are said to retain more goodness than fresh as they are frozen within hours of being picked.
I really hope you love this recipe as much as I do 😉
Enjoy! Joanne x
Pea & Brown Rice, Thai Spiced Soup with Coriander
- 100 g brown rice rinse well under running water in a sieve
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 large brown onion skin removed and diced
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Nigella / black onion seeds
- 1 tsp minced lemongrass
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 inch ginger root peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- 500 g frozen green petit pois peas
- few ginds black pepper
- 1 juiced lime
- 1 bunch fresh coriander leaves
- 1 handful extra peas
- 1 tsp Nigella / black onion seeds
- Add the rice to a large pan with the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, add the onion and the oil to a small, lidded pan and cook gently for at least 10 minutes on a low heat until it softens. If it starts to burn, add a splash of water.
- Once the onion has turned translucent and has softened, stir in the turmeric, cumin, Nigella seeds, lemongrass, ground coriander, and ginger. Remove from the heat then add the coconut cream.
- Once the rice is properly cooked, add the peas and the onion spice mix to the rice and stir through. Keep the heat on a low setting and allow to heat through for a few minutes.
- Turn off the heat and use a hand blender to blitz the soup to your desired consistency. If you like it smooth, continue to blend until it is as smooth as you like it and add a little more water if needed.
- Serve immediately and scatter on the extra peas, Nigella seeds, coriander and a squeeze of lime juice.