Rich Chocolate Black Bean Brownies
- 460 g pre-cooked black beans equal to 2 cans, rinsed and drained
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 50 g spelt flour
- 120 g dark cocoa powder at least 70% cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 3 tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 300 mls pure Maple syrup
- 110 mls melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp granulated zylitol or stevia
- Line a 12x12" shallow (roughly 3" depth) baking tray with baking paper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray and smooth over evenly.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and back for 25 minutes, check with a skewer in the centre of the brownie to see that it is cooked but still moist. Bake for up to a further 5-10 minutes as required. The brownie should feel heavy and dense but not dried out.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool further.
- The brownie will continue to set as it cools.
- Divide the brownies into 8 portions and serve with a dusting of cocoa powder.
I prefer to use dark 70% cocoa powder for this brownie as it adds a rich, chocolate flavour.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!