Roasted Winter Squash, Sweet Smoked Paprika & Almond Soup
- 1 large Winter Squash option - use a butternut squash or pumpkin
- 1 onion
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 1 litre boiled water
- 1/2 bulb roasted garlic if using fresh garlic, use only 1 clove
- 1/2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 6 almonds chopped
- pinch seat salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- drop rapeseed oil for cooking the onions
- 1 tsp yoghurt or coconut cream optional for serving
- Place the squash in to the oven on a baking tray and bake for 40 mins at 180º C. There is no need to prepare the squash apart from washing any excess dirt from the skin. Do not chop it or add oil, the squash will bake fine just as it is.
- Remove the squash from the oven and check it has cooked through. If you give the squash a squeeze (wear an oven glove as it will be hot!), the squash should feel easy to squish and the skin should look a little loose. Allow it to cool while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Roughly chop the onion and add it to a pan with a lid and stir in a drop of oil. Cook very gently over a low heat for 3-4 mins.
- Cut the squash in half and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Retain the seeds for using at a later stage.
- Remove the pan with the onions from the heat. Scoop the flesh of the squash out using the spoon and add straight to the pan.
- Add the stock, sweet, smoked paprika, garlic and seasoning to the pan.
- Use a stick / hand blender to blend the soup until smooth. Be careful it does not splash as the contents will be hot.
- Serve immediately bewtween 2 bowls and top with the almonds, a sprinkle of sweet, smoked paprika and option tsp coconut cream or yoghurt.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!