Tofu, Sweet Potato & Kale Curry with Tamarind & Ginger
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large brown onion peeled and chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger root peeled, chopped finely
- 1 large clove garlic peeled, chopped small
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 cup thick plantbased milk or use a combintation of plantbased yoghurt and mylk or coconut milk from a can
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 200 g firm tofu cut into squares
- 1 small sweet potato pre-baked if possible, if not you will need to peel, chop and steam it until soft
- 2 leaves kale chopped
- 1 cup rice white or brown
Begin by half filling a pan with water, bring to the boil and add the rice. Cook as per packet instructions while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Add the oil and onion to a large frying pan and stir together over a low heat. Add a lid and allow to cook on a low heat for about 5 minutes to allow the onions to soften.
After 5 minutes, add the chopped garlic and ginger, stir and cook for a minute.
Now stir in the curry powder, tamari and then the mylk. Lastly, add the tamarind paste and stir through.
Keeping the heat on low, add the tofu squares and pre-cooked sweet potato and allow to simmer for a few minutes until heated through. If you are using sweet potato which has been in the fridge, this will take a little longer to heat through than that from room temperature or straight from the oven roasted.
Lastly, add the chopped kale leaves and stir through for 1 minute.
Serve with your choice of rice and eat while still hot.