Vanilla, Buckwheat Pancakes with Blueberries and Blueberry Cream
- 60 g buckwheat flour
- 60 g strong wholemeal flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 220 mls homemade almond milk shop bought almond milk has a thinner, more watery consistency so if using shop bought milk, add less milk and adjust accordingly
- 1 tsp coconut oil only use oil if you do not have a non-stick pan. If using a non-stick pan, you do not need to add oil to the pan for these pancakes.
- 4 tsbp plantbased yogurt I used soya
- 2 cups blueberries use frozen if out of season
- 1 banana sliced
For the pancakes
- Add the flours, baking powder, dark brown sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl and combine.
- Gradually whisk in the milk. You should reach a thick consistency which you are able to pour. If the mixture is too runny, the pancakes will not set. If the mixture is too dough like, it will be too dense so keep this in mind when adding the milk. I used the homemade milk which is a nice, creamy thick consistency and 220mls worked perfectly.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
- If you would like perfectly round, small pancakes, use an egg ring to hold the mixture, otherwise just pour half a cup of the mixture into your pan and allow to cook for 1-2 mins. The pancakes should start to form small bubbles on top and look like they are solidifying.
- Flip over the pancake and cook for 30 seconds on the 2nd side.
- Transfer the pancake to a cooling rack to allow the steam to escape while you cook the remaining pancakes.
For the topping
- Add a few of the blueberries to a bowl with the yoghurt and use a masher to press the blueberries until they open and the juice runs. If you are using frozen blueberries you may need to allow them to melt a little or you could heat them over a very low heat, with the lid on a pan, just for a few minutes until they defrost. Stir the mixture until it turns a nice shade of purple.
- Pile your pancakes between 2 plates, add lots of the blueberry, cream, extra blueberries and some banana if desired.
- Serve immediately!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!