This gorgeous dessert looks like it required much more work than it really takes, which I think is just what you need if you’ve got guests over after having slaved over the starter and main course for hours! You can make the whole thing a few hours ahead of time by keeping the ingredients of the dish separately and assembling them just before serving. The blood oranges are so pretty and the filo pastry looks really attractive after cooking so the effort is minimal with the maximum effect! You can use normal oranges if blood oranges are not in season.
I find a pizza baking tray works really well for preparing the filo pastry because of its round shape. Just line it with baking paper for easy removal of the filo after cooking because it will be delicate and flaky.
Vegan Blood Orange & Maple Syrup Filo Pastry Tart
- 6 filo pastry sheets
- 4 blood oranges peeled and sliced 1cm thick each
- 300 mls coconut yoghurt for serving
- Maple syrup for serving
- rapseseed oil for brushing over the filo
- While preparing the filo pastry, ensure your hands are always wet by quickly holding them under a running tap between layering each sheet. Filo dries out very quickly so you need to handle it with wet hands.
- Begin by laying one sheet of the filo on a round pizza baking tray.
- Wet your hands and carefully lay another piece of the filo on top but not directly, you want to end up creating a circle with the 6 sheets so each piece should be turned a few cm's to the right.
- Continue the above step by repeating with all 6 sheets.
- Scrunch the edges of the filo sheets so they are all within the pizza baking tray. Brush with a little oil over the whole filo pastry base, center and edges.
- Place in the oven and cook on a medium heat for about 5-7 minutes until golden and crispy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Only when you are ready for serving, add the orange slices to the filo base. If you add too early it will become soggy!
- Cut the tart into desired sized pieces, drizzle with Maple syrup and add a scoop of coconut yoghurt and serve!