Vegan Kale Pesto Pizza with Spiced Chickpeas, Courgette & Rocket
- 500 mls luke warm water
- 2 tsp active dried yeast
- 500 g strong white bread flour or half and half wholemeal
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Kale Pesto Topping
- 10 leaves kale stalks removed, washed
- 1 large heaped tbsp brown rice miso paste
- 2 large handfuls walnuts
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 juice lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tin chickpeas rinsed, drained
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground Turmeric
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 3 small red onions skin removed, chopped into 1/8 pieces lengthways
- 3 handfuls rocket leaves
- 2 medium courgettes sliced thinly
- 3 leaves red cabbage grated finely
- balsamic vinegar to taste
- Add the water and dried active yeast to a jug and leave to stand for a few minutes to activate.
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- After a few minutes, add the olive oil to the water and yeast mixture.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour/salt. Slowly pour the water mixture into the middle and stir to combine until you have added all the water.
- Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a clean surface and knead with your hands until you form a smooth ball of dough. This will take about 6-10 minutes.
- Place the ball of dough back in the bowl and cover the bowl with a damp, clean tea towel. Leave the dough to rise for 1-2 hours until it has doubled in size.
- Prepare the toppings.
- Simply add the chickpeas to a bowl, stir in the spices and ground black pepper and leave to one side until you are ready to add to the pizza for cooking.
Rolling out the pizza dough
- Once the pizza dough has risen, split it into 3 equal sizes.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 12" thin pizza base.
- Place the pizza base onto a baking tray. Placing it on the baking tray before you add the toppings will make it much easier than if you add the toppings first!
Add the toppings
- Spoon 1/3 of the kale pesto onto the pizza base and use the back of a spoon to spread it out evenly.
- Place 1/3 of the courgette slices, red onion and chickpeas onto the pizza.
- Bake the pizza on a medium heat (160 degrees C) for 15 minutes. The pizza base and toppings should all start to crust nicely.
- Remove from the oven and add the rocket leaves, grated purple cabbage and balsamic vinegar.
- Repeat the above for the remaining 2 pizzas.
- Serve warm or allow to cool as it tastes good either way!
You need to plan ahead with the dough for this recipe! Start making at least 1 hour in advance of needing the pizza.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!