Vegan Shepherdess Pie with Creamy Potato & Butterbean Mash
- 300 g green lentils rinsed well under cold water
- 1 small brown onion skin removed, diced
- 1 stick celery washed, diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium sweet potato peel, diced small
- 1 large carrot
- 1 small red bell pepper centre removed, chopped chunky
- 1 handful spinach fresh or frozen
- 3 tbsp vegan Worcester Sauce
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 500 mls vegetable stock
- 1 pinch salt & pepper to season
- 300 g white potatoes peeled, diced
- 1 tin butterbeans rinsed, drained
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 splash plantbased milk
- Begin by adding the onion, celery, garlic, sweet potato, carrot and red pepper to a large pan, with a dash of oil and cook on a low setting for 10 minutes to soften. Ensure a lid is secured tightly to retain all the heat and steam.
- Once the contents of the pan have cooked for 10 minutes, add the lentils, stock, Worcester sauce, parsley, thyme and seasoning, give everything a good stir to combine and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer for up to 40 mins as per packet instructions.
- While the lentils are cooking, prepare the topping.
- Place the potatoes in a pan, top with water and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat to simmering point and leave the potatoes to cook for about 20 minutes, until soft.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the water, add the butterbeans and the milk a splash of olive oil and salt then mash until smooth and creamy.
- Once both the filling and topping have cooked/been prepared, add the spinach to the filling pan and stir through then add the filling to a suitable sized casserole dish, then add the topping using a spoon to smooth over. Place the casserole dish in the oven and cook for 20-30 minutes until the potato starts to crust on top.
- Serve immediately with extra vegetables of your choice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!