This is a wonderful Winter salad with a selection of vibrant ingredients which will look stunning on any table setting this festive season. The pomegranate seeds shine like red jewels and the orange and apple add a contrasting colour pop against the deep green of the kale. It’s an excellent way to ensure greens play a star role on the menu amoungst all the treats and delights we load our bodies with during the run up to Christmas!
If you plan to make this salad ahead, just add the apple when serving because it will go brown if left out for too long with the oxidation – not an attractive look 😉
I hope this beautiful selection of Winter food treasures makes an appearance at your table this year!
Winter Kale, Pomegranate, Orange, Pistachio & Hemp Salad
- 20 large leaves kale washed, stems removed, torn into smaller pieces
- 1 tbsp hemp oil
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp pure Maple syrup
- 1 red apple cut in half and fine strips
- 1/2 orange cut into thin strips and quartered
- 1/2 pomegranate seeds only
- 1 handful shelled pistachios
- 3 tbsp shelled hemp seeds
- ground black pepper
- Begin by placing the kale in a large bowl and drizzle on the hemp oil and tamari. Use you hands to rub in the oil and tamari until the kale is evenly coated. Leave the marinate for about 15 minutes. This will soften the kale and make it easier to eat raw.
- After marinating, place the kale on a large serving platter and add the remaining ingredients, scatter evenly across the kale (use the image as inspiration).
- Serve immediately.